Saturday 18 December 2010

Note to a special friend

This is the time of year when we all think about our nearest and dearest. So a post entitled special friend shouldn't seem that strange.

You will all have read my posts that refer to 'Special Friend' so you may have a sense of who she is.

I had a chat with her a couple of weeks ago. She is a truly great spontaneous person and for some reason only known to her, she doesn't like the word special.

This saddens me, for special describes everything she is to me. Someone who is that little bit above the rest. Something that sets her aside from 'Best Friend' whom I have been friends with for many years.

The dictionary says:

spe·cial (spes̸h′əl)

adjective

1. of a kind different from others; distinctive, peculiar, or unique
2. exceptional; extraordinary: a special treat
3. highly regarded or valued: a special friend
4. Surpassing what is common or usual; exceptional: special treat.
5. Regarded with particular affection and admiration.

And I think that sums her up - pretty much and it saddens me that I have to stop using this adjective. However, she means a lot to me and I don't want to offend, so we have agreed on the word "Fab" or "Fabulous".

Lets consult the dictionary....

fab·u·lous (făbˈyə-ləs)
adjective

1. of or like a fable; imaginary, fictitious, or legendary
2. hard to believe; incredible; astounding
3. Informal very good; wonderful
4. Barely credible; astonishing: the fabulous endurance of a marathon runner.
5. Extremely pleasing or successful: a fabulous vacation.
6. a. Of the nature of a fable or myth; legendary.
b. Told of or celebrated in fables or legends.

Hmmmmmm, Personally I don't think its fits so well, but she really is a great friend and I don't want to offend. So from now on when I refer to my Fab Friend, you my readers will know that I'm really referring to Special Friend.

......and a big thank you to her, for her help support and encouragement this year.

1 comment:

  1. This post brought a lump to my throat. I feel very humble now.

    It also jerked a dim and distant memory back from the murky depths of my mind. . .

    . . . my son was 5 years old and a new headmistress took over his school. I got called into her office one day, and she was furious. Apparently she had walked into my sons class, liked his work and told him he could get a gold star for it. He always took things literally (and still does!) so he promptly marched out of class, into the headmistresses office, opened her desk drawer and helped himself to a gold star.

    I told the head (as she was aware) that my son had dyspraxia and always took words literally, it was part of his condition. As she had told him he could get a gold star, he did just that.

    The head basically told me I was a shit parent for not siding with her. Then she took hold of my son, shook him, put her nose against his and said very very slowly . . .

    'you must NEVER go into my drawer again but I will let you off this time because . . . you. . . are . . . s.p.e.c.i.a.l. do you understand . . you. . . are. . . s.p.e.c.i.a.l.'

    Well, I pulled my son away from her, put my nose against her nose and said. . .

    'Pal, if you EVER lay your hands on my son again, or EVER dare speak to him like that I will report you for child abuse (I think I might have added 'you fat evil bitch')'

    She stayed away from him after that, but ever since I have found the 'S' word deeply offensive.

    Strange how our minds can work.

    I feel honoured to be your Fab Friend.

    Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete