This is the time of year when we all think about our nearest and dearest. So a post entitled special friend shouldn't seem that strange.
You will all have read my posts that refer to 'Special Friend' so you may have a sense of who she is.
I had a chat with her a couple of weeks ago. She is a truly great spontaneous person and for some reason only known to her, she doesn't like the word special.
This saddens me, for special describes everything she is to me. Someone who is that little bit above the rest. Something that sets her aside from 'Best Friend' whom I have been friends with for many years.
The dictionary says:
1. of a kind different from others; distinctive, peculiar, or unique
2. exceptional; extraordinary: a special treat
3. highly regarded or valued: a special friend
4. Surpassing what is common or usual; exceptional: special treat.
5. Regarded with particular affection and admiration.
And I think that sums her up - pretty much and it saddens me that I have to stop using this adjective. However, she means a lot to me and I don't want to offend, so we have agreed on the word "Fab" or "Fabulous".
Lets consult the dictionary....
1. of or like a fable; imaginary, fictitious, or legendary
2. hard to believe; incredible; astounding
3. Informal very good; wonderful
4. Barely credible; astonishing: the fabulous endurance of a marathon runner.
5. Extremely pleasing or successful: a fabulous vacation.
6. a. Of the nature of a fable or myth; legendary.
b. Told of or celebrated in fables or legends.
Hmmmmmm, Personally I don't think its fits so well, but she really is a great friend and I don't want to offend. So from now on when I refer to my Fab Friend, you my readers will know that I'm really referring to Special Friend.
......and a big thank you to her, for her help support and encouragement this year.