Saturday 1 May 2010

Making you own luck

I think I’ve said before that I don’t believe much in luck. You have to take control of your life and make your own.

But I do believe I’m lucky.

I’m lucky because I own a great little 3 bed semi in a lovely part of the country.

I’m lucky to be in a job with flexible hours and reasonable pay – just enough to cover the mortgage, bills and 2-3 very carefully budgeted holidays a year.

It’s a choice issue again. I chose the lovely house that desperately needs DIY that I can’t afford to do because we spent every penny buying the house. The house is still lovely even if I hate the wallpaper.

I choose to have 3 holidays a year, where I stay in budget self catering accommodation, and cook meals that were prepped at home – rather than splashing out on one fancy summer holiday abroad. I choose to camp, or spend hours searching the internet to get that good deal. And I choose to entertain at home rather than splashing out on eating out.

I have chosen not to feel sad or regret what I don’t have. I used to. I have wasted a lot of time in the past thinking about what I wasn’t doing or having! And envying friends and family for what they had.

When you realise its your choice and you can make your own luck, you can sit down and appreciate what you have. I am very content with my horrid wallpaper, but its part of my beautiful house. My bargain breaks are spent appreciating the lovely countryside in the UK (esp. the lakes) and my contentedness is passing to my lovely lovely dog who can feel it because he is lying on my feet as I type.

Life is good!

1 comment:

  1. what a great post. Very inspiring. As you say- its all about choice and seeing how much possibility there is in the world

    ReplyDelete