Tuesday 13 July 2010

NLP - The Map Is Not The Territory

My Neuro-linguistic Programming (NLP) learning has lead me to understand a little bit more about why Best Friend and I have had this little mis-understanding.

NLP has a number of presuppositions (assumptions) and I hope to write about more of these during my journey.  However there is one entitled "The Map Is Not The Territory".  This goes on to say that we are all operating on different maps of the world,  so we see, hear, feel different things to other people in the same situation.  We all tend to do what we think is right in a given situation, however because it is unique for each and every one of us, what feels ok for one person is seen differently by another.

So here I am with my own map that states that if Best friend needed extra support, she knows that I am here for her, when all the time her map might show that if I know things are completely right I should show her extra attention.  Doesn't that make life difficult?  Well, yes in a way, but it also provides the answer - its opk that we're different, we just need to understand that we're different.

If you want to know more about Maps and territory - I have found a useful website -

nlp training scotland

In the meantime - make sure you're holding your map the right way around. ;-)

Neuro-Linguistic Programming Workbook For Dummies

1 comment:

  1. or the person is not their behaviour. It took me an age to get my head round this one!!

    ReplyDelete